Friday 15 November 2013

Phillip Island

Today we headed to Phillip Island, southeast of Melbourne, first stopping at the Maru Koala and Animal Park.

Next stop, the Nobbies, a nesting ground for birds, including silver gulls and crested terns.

Then to the seaside town of Cowes for a dinner stop.

Lastly, to Summerland Beach to view the penguins on parade, emerging from the sea at sunset and waddling across the sand to their dune burrows. These Little Penguins are the smallest of the penguin species, and Phillip Island is home to the largest colony in the world. Photographs or videos of the penguins were not allowed.

Tasmanian Devil

Koalas


Wallaby

Kangaroos


Baby on Board

Long Necked Turtle 

"The dingo ate my baby!"

The Nobbies


Wallaby in the Wild

Cowes



Penguin Parade


2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, that's the animal park where I was attacked by the emus! And then the photo opportunity koala hissed at me and tried to grabbed my head with his vicious little claws...not a fan! The penguins are the BEST though!!! So adorable coming home from a long day at work in the ocean. I'm sure you enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not like the emus. They looked like they were ready to reach over the fence and attack. Koalas look adorable but I won't get too close to them either. I don't like to see any wild animal in captivity. Seeing them in the wild is so much better. The penguins are my favorite. They are so precious. Seeing them up close at the Phillip Island penguin parade and previously in Antarctica are two of my most memorable travel experiences.

      Delete